The Prince William Chamber of Commerce is hosting the 2012 “Tools for School” supply drive through Aug. 17 to collect school supplies for children.
The Edward L. Kelly Leadership Center at 14715 Bristow Road in Manassas is a drop-off site for school supplies, as are other locations throughout the county. Look for marked collection boxes.
Other drop-off locations are at:
- Dream Cafe, 7843 Sudley Rd., Manassas
- United Martial Arts LLP, 7832 Sudley Rd., Manassas
- Prince William Chamber headquarters, 9720 Capital Ct., Manassas
- PW Chamber - Gainesville Business Resource Center, 7410 Heritage Village Plz., Suite 101, Gainesville
- GEICO, 14694 Lee Hwy., Gainesville
- Virginia Commerce Bank, 17054 Jefferson Davis Hwy., Woodbridge
- Chairman Corey Stewart's office, 1 County Complex Ct., Woodbridge
- Laser Quest, 14517 Potomac Mills Rd., Woodbridge
- Burgess & Niple, 12700 Black Forest Ln., Woodbridge
Complete details about drop-off locations, a list of most-needed supplies, and promotional flyers are available at www.pwchamber.org.
Prince William County Schools announced that from Aug. 3 to Aug. 5, purchases of qualifying school supplies selling for $20 or less per item, and purchases of qualifying clothing and footwear selling for $100 or less per item will be exempt from sales tax. The "tax holiday" is statewide.
Retailers may also choose to absorb the tax on other items during the holiday period, but they are responsible for paying the tax on those items to the Department of Taxation. Go to www.tax.virginia.gov and click on “FAQs” to see “Sales Tax Holiday” in the drop-down list for additional details and links to other resources and information.
Suggested supplies include:
Plastic crayon box
Glue sticks (white)
Plastic folders with pockets