Memorial Day Weekend Travel: Closures and Weather
Use this guide in planning your route and travel times.
As you head into your Memorial Day Weekend, make your travel in and around the region easier by checking our live traffic information on the Patch Commute tab.
The weekend will be mostly sunny in Northern Virginia, so rain won't slow down your drive in and around Washington, D.C.
Virginia Megaprojects announced that it is lifting lane closures from today through 9:30 a.m. on May 29 to ease traffic for Memorial Day. However, there will still be full road closures on the Dulles Toll Road westbound at I-495 and on I-395 northbound at I-495.
There will also be temporary full road closures lasting up to half an hour on:
- I-495 north from Robinson Terminal to Georgetown Pike
- I-495 south from Georgetown Pike to Heming Avenue underpass
- Dulles Toll Road east at I-495
- I-66 west from Leesburg Pike to Gallows Road overpass
- I-66 east from Nutley Street to I-495
- Lee Highway between Hartland Road and Fairview Park Drive
- Braddock Road east and west between Port Royal Road and I-495
See the attached PDF for the full list of road closures along the Northern Virginia Beltway.
In the Lake Ridge area, alternating lanes of Old Bridge Road are shut down Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. for ongoing utility work. For more county and regional road and lane closures, see VDOT's spreadsheet.