Woodbridge is getting new sidewalk down near Route 1, with the planned construction of a pedestrian footbridge across Powell's Creek, Woodbridge District Supervisor Frank Principi announced.
Prince William County just won a state Transportation Alternatives Grant of $568,000 to help fund the $710,000 footbridge just south of Port Potomac Avenue. The bridge project will also connect sidewalk on both sides of the vehicle bridge.
“Almost every day I see pedestrians coming into the travel lanes on Route 1 to cross the creek,” Supervisor Frank Principi said. “These are often women walking with kids and strollers.”
This project is part of the Pedestrian and Bicycle Network. Last fall, about 35 gaps were recorded in Woodbridge sidewalks and trails.
High priority projects include:
1. Route 1 at Powell’s Creek Bridge ($710K)
2. Dale Boulevard from Neabsco Mills Road across Route 1 & down Rippon Boulevard ($1.8M)
3. Opitz Boulevard from the Wawa to Neabsco Mills Road ($1.5M)
4. Blackburn Road from Rippon Boulevard to the Cow Branch Bridge ($500K)
5. Blackburn Road from Reddy Drive to Featherstone Road ($600K)